Checklist For Incoming Students
This page provides information on the steps that incoming students will need to take in order to use CSE and university services.
Visit Deb Heckens in Avery 263 so that you can get into the payroll system and get paid. You’ll need the proper pieces of identification for employee eligibility verification (e.g., driver’s license and social security card). If you want to set up direct deposit, you’ll also need to bring a voided check. New International Students will also need Passport, VISA, I-94 and DS2019 or I-20.
Contact Deb by email and she can send you the correct employee packet to be completed.
Employment cannot begin without proper paperwork and documentation.
Register For Classes
You need to be registered for classes before you can do anything at Nebraska.
- Go to myred.nebraska.edu and sign in with your NUID and password. You should have received your NUID and temporary password in separate emails shortly after applying for admission.
- Click on “Enroll in Classes”in the right-hand side toolbar with the label “manage”. Then, select the term for which you wish to register for classes and click “Continue”.
- Enter the call numbers of the courses for which you wish to register. If you don’t know the call numbers, you can look up classes using the “Class Search” tab located in the top-left portion of the screen.
*If you want to register for a special class like “Research”or “Thesis,” you will need to see Shelley Everett in the CSE office and fill out a form to get the call number.*
Get Your NCard
Your NCard is your student ID card, and is used to identify you for many things on campus. Your NCard also has a randomly generated student ID number, which is different from your social security number. To obtain your NCard:
- Register for at least one course. Your application for your NCard will be withdrawn if you are not registered for the upcoming semester.
- Visit ncard.unl.edu and submit the online application. You will be required to supply a headshot for your card which meets specific requirements outlined on the application.
- Bring a government-issued photo ID such as driver’s license, passport, or military ID to the NCard Office in the Student Union. It will not be issued without proper identification.
*No fee will be collected at the time the NCard is issued, however, the $15.00 issuance fee will appear on your Student Accounts Consolidated Bill.*
Get A CSE Account
Visit Charles in Avery 27 (bottom floor) to get your CSE account. Be sure that you bring your NCard, as Charles might need that. After doing this, you’ll need to visit the Consent Page and agree to the page’s terms. Also, at the same time, you might want to ask the system manager to add your email address to the E2 mailing list which is email@example.com.
Wireless Connection for Laptops.
- Visit https://wireless-reg.unl.edu/register/login.php and log in with your Blackboard username and password.
- Select “Register a Card”and enter the Hardware Address (MAC Address) for the device you wish to gain access. Then click “Next”.
- It may take several hours for your device to obtain permission to connect to the network. When the setup is complete, you should have access to the “UNL-AIR" network.
*If you cannot find your device’s MAC Address, the university's Wireless Registration Page contains a useful PDF which may help you locate it.*
Access To Avery Hall And The E-2 Computer Labs
In order to access Avery Hall and rooms 103 and 104, you will have to see (or email) Shea Svoboda and he will activate your NCard. If you need after hour building access you need your advisor to email Shea about this and he will provide you after hour building access.
Keys To Office Space
The E2 doors have card readers installed, and you will use your NCards to access the office space. However, if you have an office in the lab, you’ll need a key. To get a key, visit Sally Hawkins in Avery 266. You should get an email from your advisor to Sally confirming your office location. She will then either hand you a key or assist you in obtaining it. You’ll need to bring your NCard as well as pay a $10 dollar deposit to get your key.